Kona Café – 100% kona coffee
The highest grade 100% Kona coffee
The largest 100% Kona is called “EXTRA FANCY”, usually produced by the oldest trees, picked when red ripe like a cherry from our high mountain farm. Smaller 100% Kona tends to have slightly less desirable Kona flavor and Kona aroma. These lower grades are KONA FANCY (#2 Kona) and HAWAIIAN (#3 Kona). If 100% Kona coffee is ungraded, the fresh picked Kona cherries are considered to be Hawaiian, as the lowest grade 100% Kona can no longer be labeled as “Kona” by state law.
100% Kona Coffee Grading Based on:
- Roasting Quality: The best 100% Kona has even color.
- Aroma and flavor when brewed: 100% Kona is the most aromatic in the world.
- Moisture Content: 12% is considered the level for Maximum Kona Extraction.
- Removal of Defective Beans: Visual Kona Inspection and Hand Kona Selection.
- Separating 5% of the rare type of Kona called Peaberry, which are round.
Best brands are available here: https://www.konacoffeebelt.com